Michael Schwartz concentrates his practice on business and commercial litigation, transportation disputes, the defense of automobile negligence claims, and commercial landlord-tenant issues. He is highly involved in all phases of litigation.
Regardless of the type of action, Michael prides himself on providing candid and cogent advice before, during, and after litigation. He represents insurers, individuals, and both large and small companies, including publicly traded REITs and shopping malls, in state and federal courts throughout Michigan. He also offers guidance to clients and non-clients alike by speaking at industry events such as the Insurance Institute of Michigan’s annual claims seminar.
Michael earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and his law degree, cum laude, from the University of Georgia, where he also served as Notes Editor for the Georgia Journal of International & Comparative Law. While in college and law school, he interned with U.S. Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, the Southeast Regional Solicitor’s Office of the U.S. Department of the Interior, and the general counsel’s office of an Atlanta-based real estate development company. He also found time to give back to his community as a volunteer with Food Gatherers and Meals on Wheels, and as a mentor to disadvantaged middle school children.
Having spent the majority of his life in three of the nation’s best college towns – Ann Arbor, Madison and Athens, Georgia – Michael is a passionate college football fan, as well as a seasoned world traveler and avid golfer.
- University of Georgia,
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2010
- Notes Editor, Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- University of Wisconsin – Madison,
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and History, 2004
- Dean’s List
- Pre-Law Society
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
Insurance & Indemnity, Litigation, Negligence, Real Property Law, and Young Lawyers Sections
- “Defending Claims in the Age of Orchestrated Treatment, Fraud and Kickbacks,” Saginaw Valley Adjusters Association Meeting, February 2018
- “Bahri – A New Dawn for Fraud Defense,” Insurance Institute of Michigan, Annual Claims Seminar, September 2016
- “Admire – Hopes, Dreams & Unintended Consequences,” Insurance Institute of Michigan, Annual Claims Seminar, 2015
- “New Statutory Fraud Provisions in Runner, Capper, Steerer Laws & Assigned Claims Plan,” Insurance Institute of Michigan, Annual Claims Seminar, 2014
- “Perfecting Settlements and Protecting Your Release,” Insurance Institute of Michigan, Annual Claims Seminar, 2013